Childbirth is one of the most important moments in a woman’s life, but, pregnancy is surely not all unicorns and rainbows. It’s an intense emotional and physical journey that produces very isible changes in the body. First the body has to prepare to carry a child, and after birth it has to recalibrate to a new normal. Postpartum Girdles can be the first step in helping a mother regain confidence in her body and hopefully quicken healing times.
Postpartum girdles are known by many names, postpartum belly wraps, belly binders, but they are mostly a type of shapewear with medical benefits. They fit around the belly snugly to help a new mother improve posture and assist in regaining shape after the delivery.
It helps the body to readjust the organs after the body has been through the stress of pregnancy. Given the important role of the postpartum girdles, it is important to choose the right one. There are so many available in the market, but here are the top picks that you should seriously consider.
Things to Consider When Shopping
Shapewear is an incredibly personal piece of clothing and
- Comfort – is the fabric breathable and comfortable for long hours of daily use
- Sizing – Is the band adjustable or will I be able to find a size that fits?
- Durability – Is this material made to last?
- Squeem Firm Compression Miracle Vest Shapewear - "The Full Underwear Support"
- Mamaway Nano Bamboo Postnatal Recovery & Support Belly Band - "The Extra Support Band"
- Goege Waist Trimmer Belt - "The Budget Choice"
- Belly Bandit Viscose from Bamboo Postpartum Belly Wrap - "The Choice For Sensitive Skin"
- 3 іn 1 Pоѕtраrtum Suрроrt Rесоvеrу Bеllу Wrap - The MultiFunctional Belt - "The Multifunctional Band"
- Bеllеfіt Pоѕtраrtum Gіrdlе wіth Zірреr- "The Pull Up Band"
- Great with tailored fitted outfits
- Provides strong back support
- Micracle vest offers provides full upper body shapewear
- May show through very tight fitted clothes
- Some customers have experienced problems with poking support wires, though it’s a rare issue
The inner lining of the shapewear is cotton for increased comfort, while the exterior is rubber for a smooth shape. This helps with the elasticity and keeping you cool when you have it on. It’s recommended to be worn for 8-10 hours a day and the thermal warmth provided also offers fat burning properties.
Squeem Firm Compression Shapewear comes in a wide range of sizes ranging from XS to 5XL. Sometimes it is difficult for curvy women to find a postpartum girdle that complements their curve, but this product offers something for everyone.
As a smooth full upper body solution, Squeem Shapewear is nearly invisible under most clothes. One added benefit is that it provides the elusive hourglass shape. So, not only can you wear it inside the house, you can easily wear it outside and no one will notice. Many shapewear fold on themselves frequently, and it is not convenient to correct them, especially while on the go. Squeem Firm Compression Shapewear comes with flexible boning which avoids the garment from folding up on itself and creates a uniform compression.
The shapewear closes with hook and eye loops, so if you are looking for a quick zipper closure solution, this is not your pick. Since it is shapewear, the product is rigid in places, and is probably not the best postpartum girdle to take a nap in. Also, if you are searching for a pocket-friendly option, this is not the product for you.
- Two compression subbelts for extra reinforcement
- Contains Breathable bamboo fiber material
- Durable and washes well
- Added bulk from support bands
- Possible folding around the edge when sitting
Another belly band with naturally antibacterial material, this product has adjustable velcro subbands that help to provide extra support where its most needed. The wrap also consists of nylon, polyester, and rubber, making it simultaneously stretchy and supportive. Breathability is a key factor leaving this a comfortable option.
The quality of the fabric is high and maintains well even after repeated washing. Ideal for both c-section and natural births, the band offers triple compression for better abdomen stabilization. As an added plus customer service also seems responsive.
One of the most challenging aspects of finding the right belly binder is finding one that fits right. With the Goege Waist Trimmer Belt, you can adjust the size with the Velcro belt. It provides lumbar support and also helps in binding the stomach.
The waist trimmer is made of 80% polyester and 20% spandex, but users have sometimes noticed the Velcro texture against the skin. Given how budget friendly this option is, it’s likely at least worth a try. Sizes range from medium to 3XL.
The belt is likely best for home use, as the design of the product makes it quite visible under fitted clothes.
The belt is light to wear, clocking in a weight of only 2.4 ounces. This makes it easy to wear it around the whole day for a new mother.
- Supports the abdominal, back and hip muscles
- Medical-grade compression to keep the belly in
- Eco-friendly and absorbent material
- Visible under light clothing
- Some customers reported rolling and uneven distribution of the material
Made from bamboo, The Belly Bandit is a soft and environment-friendly solution to tighten your belly. This naturally antibacterial abdominal wrap helps in reducing weight and is especially comfortable for women who have undergone a C-section during delivery.
Given the strong material, the wrap appears to be quite durable. It is highly absorbent, so you will not be left sweaty even after wearing it for hours. It also does not have any latex for those who may be ultra sensitive.
Users who did not find the wrap comfortable experienced rolled edges or an uneven distribution of the material. It also may be visible under skinny clothing.
For a better fit, the abdominal wrap provides a Velcro adjustable support for the back and hips. It keeps the belly flat using medical-grade compression.
- Breathable material makes it ideal for use for long hours
- Complete support from the back to the hips
- High degree of flexibility from 3 belts
- Medical Grade postpartum girdle
- Closing 3 belts is a bit more time consuming
- Can fold over while sitting, which can get uncomfortable
For a multi level approach to reducing postpartum weight, the 3 in 1 Postpartum Recovery Belt offers a Velcro fully customizable solution. Why 3-in-1? Because it comes with 3 different belts – stomach belt, waist belt and a pelvic belt. These belts work together to get your body back in shape. It pushes your belly and hips back to the pre-pregnancy measurements, and also support your back and relieve the pain that new mothers go through.
We’d recommend this product for curvier women who need more adjustability in size. The product is made of 80% of polyamide and 20% of elastic, made to be lightweight and breathable. The high elasticity of the product makes sure that it fits all the curves of your body and provide you maximum comfort.
The Bellefit Medical Grade Girdle is a pull-up design with no hooks or zippers for an easy finger fumbling free solution. Made from hypoallergenic fabric, these postpartum girdles can be worm comfortably for hours. The groin closure can be accessed using a flap with hooks.
Given that there’s no zipper on this version, the wrap has increased durability. Granted finding the right fit may be slightly more challenging, but there are also Bellefit binders with zipper or hooked closures.
Shopping for postpartum girdles is especially difficult given that everyone’s body shapes tend to be different. You also may end up paying more for durability and comfort. This is one of those products where you would prefer a generous return policy!