One of the first things that parents lose when they welcome a new baby in the family in their sleep. Even when they do manage to doze off for a few hours, the thoughts of their baby’s vital signs and movements jolt them awake.
Yet sleep is as important for parents as it is for their little ones, which is why a baby monitor is a required investment so that it can watch the baby while the parents get some much-needed shut-eye.
Frequently Asked Questions About Baby Movement Breathing Monitors
Most new parents learn about baby movement and breathing monitors only after they have had their baby.
Are Baby Monitors Safe for My Baby?
Babies are extremely delicate and all harmful objects need to be removed from their vicinity. The same goes for baby monitors. As long as the device is not within reach of your baby while they are sleeping in the crib or standing up, then it is perfectly safe. Keep the device and the cords in a place where your baby has absolutely no chance of reaching it. The sensor pads and the clip-on devices are made baby-safe.
Are Baby Monitors Accurate?
The newer baby breathing monitors are now adopting technology that is trusted by medical professionals and have been considered accurate by the medical authorities for ages. Pulse Oximetry technology, for instance, is used to measure the oxygen level in the blood, and heart rate in most medical practices and many baby monitors are now using the same technology. According to the American Thoracic Society, the readings by Pulse Oximeter are reasonably accurate. Critical Care Medicine, also cites the many studies that have proved the accuracy of Pulse Oximeter over time.
- Owlet Smart Sock 2 Baby Monitor - "Best All-Purpose Baby Breathing Monitor"
- Angelcare Movement And Sound Monitor - "Best Long-range Baby Movement Detector"
- Snuza Go! Baby Monitor - "The Best Travel Partner"
- Babysense 7 - "The Preemies Best Guardian Angel"
- The Ultramodern Night-Time Video Monitor - "Cocoon Cam Plus"
- The app and device syncs with almost all smart devices
- Monitors heart rate, oxygen levels, and breathing
- Alerts the parents as soon as alarming readings show up
- Collects extremely accurate real-time data with clinically-proven technology
- The alert system wakes up the parents without disturbing the baby
- Compact design with a weight of 1 lb.
- Small size of 3.5 x 3.5 x 0.7’’
- Easy to use
- The sock is made of soft material and is comfy for the babies
- The sock size is nonadjustable and doesn’t fit all the babies
- It has a high EMF of 8 V/m
- Can only be used when the baby is sleeping
Owlet Smart Sock 2 Baby Monitor is one of the highest rated baby monitors, and the reason is that it is well-rounded. This one-of-a-kind baby monitor provides very accurate data according to the fact that it is incorporated with clinically-proven pulse oximetry technology and monitors the baby’s heart rate and breathing. As we mentioned earlier, Pulse Oximeter is trusted by medical fields all across the globe.
The unit comes with three soft socks that can be easily washed and wrapped around the baby’s foot. These socks are BPA-free, waterproof, latex-free, lead-free, and pediatrician approved.
The Bluetooth connection in the sock relays the data to the base machine for as far as 100 feet. The monitor syncs with the parents’ smartphones and alerts them via a light, app display, and sound notifications when the readings indicate a danger.
- The handheld unit triple-functions as a baby movement monitor, room temperature reader, and an audio baby monitor
- Long range of up to 820 feet outdoors and 300 feet indoors.
- Comes with two units for both parents
- Loud alarm
- Adjustable sensitivity
- Only works when placed under the baby’s crib’s mattress and not under any other surface
- Doesn’t connect with smartphones
- Short battery life
- Not portable
Angelcare Movement and Sound Monitor come with a sensor mat that is placed under the mattress to read the movement of the baby. When the sensor pad fails to detect movement for 20 seconds, it immediately notifies the parents on their units with a loud alarm. There’s a cable that connects the mat and the monitor and the latter needs to be positioned strategically.
The parents’ units also display room temperature, sound options, light options and a variety of other settings. Angelcare movement monitor has a soft glow that keeps the babies’ room alight during the nighttime. The monitor comes with a rechargeable battery that runs for almost 4 hours and notifies when it’s low.
- Long battery life
- Stays securely in place
- Easy to use
- Weighs 1 ounce and measures 3-inches which makes it easy to travel with
- The alarm can be set to wake up the parents after 15, 18, or 20 seconds of inactivity
- Extremely sensitive motion sensors that detect lightest of movements
- Comes with a free of cost protective case
- Frequent false alarms
- Requires some time to understand the setup
While Snuza Go lacks the stimulation factor Snuza Hero has which refers to a slight vibration to rouse the baby, it is still one of the best go-to baby breathing monitors, and made it to several top-lists of 2019, as compared to the Hero.
Other than the simulation factor, Snuza Go and Snuza Hero share all the same features yet Hero is a lot pricier.
The Snuza Go! easily clips onto the babies’ diapers and will alert the parents if the baby stops breathing within 15, 18, or 20 seconds.
In addition to the sound alarms, the lights also indicate babies’ lack of movement. The green light is a good sign and the orange light is an alarming one.
Most people face false alarms during their initial days with Snuza Go, the trick to avoid them is to clip the monitor with care. Snuza Go is famous among the traveling parents who find its compact and lightweight design easy to slip inside bags when on the move.
- No wires
- Two full-coverage sensor pads leading to higher accuracy
- High sensitivity leading to immediate detection
- Preferred by a vast number of hospitals in Asia, Europe, and Australia
- No contact with the child and is hence comfortable
- Alarms and lights
- Fewer false alarms
- Does not work properly with thick mattress
- Not suitable for babies who are highly active during their sleep
Babysense 7 is simple, straightforward, and does the job without any superfluous features. This baby monitor is perfect for parents who want nothing more but to make sure their baby is moving in sleep and is in no danger.
The two ultra-skinny sensor mats cover a wider area of the mattress and detect even the slightest of movements, keeping the false alarms away. The warning alarm starts beeping if the sensors detect no movement for 20 seconds. This brand of baby monitor is trusted by professionals in the hospitals of more than 35 countries.
The monitor is extremely easy to use, comes with no cords and wires and doesn’t attach anywhere on the baby, letting them enjoy a peaceful sleep.
- HD camera with a zoom
- Breathing analysis
- Smartphone app
- Wall mount monitor
- Night vision
- Pediatrician recommended
- Unlimited Range
- Two-way communication
- Not attached to the baby
- Have to be mounted on the wall to work
- Occasional lag time
Cocoon Cam Plus came out in 2017, and before its first year was over it had already grabbed the attention of The Amercian Genius, Time, Forbes, the sleep consultant and famed blogger of Live Love Sleep and received press and awards from many other reputed names. We believe it is safe to say that the high-tech Cocoon Cam has rapidly gained fame because of its reliability during the night. The monitor streams HD video and communicates it directly with the parents on their smartphone app. At night time, the wall mounted monitor provides visuals in crisp night vision mode, allowing the parents to keep a close eye on the baby at all times.
Additionally, the video feed also provides a detailed analysis of the baby’s breathing patterns. As soon as the camera captures something abnormal with the baby’s chest, the app wakes up the parents with notification within 20 seconds.
Other high-tech features involve getting notified when the baby is crying, waking up, and falling asleep. Parents can also turn on the phone’s microphone and talk to their baby
Now that we have provided you with a quick and detailed guide on all the top-rated baby monitors, their features, and also what they lack, it’s time for you to take the next step. As unfortunate as sudden infant death syndrome is, it is very common. These modern and versatile baby monitors allow the parents to prevent the worse from happening by waking them up just in time.